Social

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Making your own hakama part 1

So, as some of you may remember I decided to make my own hakama for my ken-jutsu class. I already have a navy blue hakama for aikido but my ken-jutsu sensei requires beginners to wear white hakama and gi. So, instead of buying I decided to make my own.

To start I purchased four yards of sixty inch wide white duck. I also purchased a hakama pattern from Round Earth to help me in my hakama making. Oh yeah, I washed the fabric on hot and machine dried to pre-shrink it before proceeding. Once your fabric is washed and dried you can start cutting.

First I cut out the legs of the hakama, cutting four 30" wide by 45" long. These panels will be the front and the back of the hakama pants. Next, I cut the two ties; one for the back that was 5" wide by 125" long and a short one for the back that's 65" long by 5" wide.

At this point I have tacked the front panels together and hand sewed the pleats in place. My next step will be to machine stitch the front seam and pleats in place.

Stay tuned for part two (with pictures!)

1 comment:

AliMcJ said...

I'm looking for details on which seam of the waistband the back brace semi-rectangular piece goes into. I had one pattern that just confused me between where it is sewn in and how it is worn.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can find my pages here under AliMcJ or/and Alison's Wonderland

 
ss_blog_claim=47e8ae8a68a01a9165039ec8589d7710